Today, this avenue forms part of the Paseo de la Presa. Its origins go back to the year 1795, when the city council ordered the construction of a wide avenue leading from the point where the city then officially ended, at the Hacienda de San Agustín (which today is the Embajadoras district) up to the La Olla reservoir, thus creating a beautiful avenue initially lined by nothing more than sidewalks.
The man responsible for bringing the avenue to completion was town mayor Juan Antonio de Riaño, the man who went on subsequently to fail in the defense, for the Spaniards, of his greatest work, the Alhóndiga de Granaditas.
The avenue became the preferred location for the affluent of Guanajuato to build their “country houses”, that is, alternatives to their main houses located downtown. The most notable of these were constructed between the years 1846 and 1910. Now, the avenue abounds in superb hotels and restaurants providing the very best that Guanajuato has to offer to residents and visitors alike.