The polvorín, or arsenal, was a common sight in New Spain, always located on the outskirts of towns in order to safeguard arms and explosives – particularly gunpowder – far from the populace.
December 10, 1773 which was used by the city’s mining industry. It stands at the beginning of what is now the modern Pozuelos avenue leading into the city.
As a piece of non-military architecture, its design is very interesting, consisting as it does of a windowless space formed by thick stone walls highly reminiscent of fortifications.
Its single gate is flanked by two sandstone columns that, despite its small size, give the building a certain grandeur.
It is currently home base to the Ángeles Verdes, or Green Angels vehicle rescue service.