At the end of the nineteenth century this region became a ghost town, although it was one of the most flourishing mining sites in the area. still in the nineteenth century, the inhabitants of mineral de la luz were counted in thousands and they had, for example, their own bull-fighting ring, a tobacco factory, pawnshops and smelter haciendas. in 1929, this territory was included in the municipality of guanajuato while today scarcely 300 people live there.
it was here where the san bernabé vein was discovered in 1548, it was the first ore seen by a group of spaniards crossing through this area on their way from zacatecas. the site sits along the road that leads to cerro del cubilete. this finding resulted in the extraction of silver in the region and the prosperity of real de minas. in the eighteenth century it was known as mineral de realejo and during the nineteenth century its name changed to mineral de la luz.
this mountainous community was one of the most popular recreation and rest sites among the residents of guanajuato. its own history is silently kept by ruins and some traces of those prosperous days, but some of its buildings are still used, as it is the case of the temple dedicated to nuestra señora de la luz (our lay of light), recently renovated as part of a project intended to turn the village into a tourist destination.
once one of the most profitable mines in the region, towards the end of the nineteenth century, mineral de la luz became a ghost town. previously, the population of the town reached into the thousands and the town was able to maintain its own bullring, a tobacco factory, a number of pawnshops and several foundries for precious metals. although it was officially brought into the municipality of guanajuato as recently as 1929, today the population barely reaches 300.
originally named mineral de realejo, since the nineteenth century this mine has been known as the mineral de la luz. it was here in 1548 that the famous san bernabé lode was discovered. it was stumbled upon by a group of spaniards on their way south from zacatecas on the road that leads to the now the famous cerro del cubilete. with this fortunate discovery came the birth of the mining industry in guanajuato and the incredible prosperity of the real de minas.
this highland town was one of the most popular sites for rest and recreation among the residents of guanajuato. nowadays, for the most part, we see only ruins and the vestiges of the town’s great history; however, some of its buildings are still in use, such as the church of nuestra señora de la luz, which was recently renovated as part of a project to turn the village into a tourist destination.