Museo de Historia Natural Alfredo Dugés.

Located in the central building of the University of Guanajuato, the Natural History Museum was named after the noted French professor, Alfred Auguste Delsescautz Dugès, who left from Paris in 1853 to live in this city in 1860.  He was the French consul in Guanajuato and he joined many scientific associations and he also was the Director of the Belén Hospital de and a professor at the University.

But, not having enough with the practice of his profession and his educational activities, this dynamical French man, with the assistance of his students, conducted important research activities in the field of natural sciences and zoology that led him to develop a broad collection of insects, birds, mammals, fish, batrachians, reptiles, plants, fruits, minerals, skeletons and y fossils. The museum is complemented with a gallery of drawings and watercolor paintings that depict the flora and fauna in the world.

In 1941, his personal collection derived in the museum that proudly bears his name and daily receives school children and the audience attracted by science. This museum also presents touring exhibitions and offers workshops on subjects related with natural sciences and the environment.

Located in the central building of the University of Guanajuato, the Natural History Museum was named after the noted French professor, Alfred Auguste Delsescautz Dugès, who left his home in Paris in 1583, eventually coming to Guanajuato in 1860 as French consul. As well as joining numerous scientific associations, Dugés was also Director of the Belén Hospital and a professor at the University.

However, as if his profession and his educational activities weren’t enough, this dynamic Frenchman, with the help of his students, conducted important research in the natural sciences and zoology, building up a large collection of insects, birds, mammals, fish, batrachians, reptiles, plants, fruits, minerals, skeletons and fossils. The museum is complemented by a gallery of drawings and watercolors depicting the flora and fauna of the world.

In 1941, his personal collection formed the basis for the museum that proudly bears his name and is visited daily by school groups and people with an interest in science. The museum also hosts touring exhibitions and offers workshops on the sciences and the environment.

BACK