This square, with its trees and restaurants, is one of the centers of bohemian life in Guanajuato. It is a venue for musicians, poets and dreamers and as you listen the musicians play, the evenings seem to linger on forever. Also, every year, the square plays host to a fair of the traditional candy figures known as “alfeñiques”.
Formerly part of the hacienda of San Francisco de Cervera, this space was actually the site of a number of furnaces. In 1863, it was converted into a city square, although it was a little smaller at that point. Then, in the 1940s, the demolition of a school that occupied the upper section expanded the square to its current size and made room for the simple fountain that now sits there.
One of the square’s landmarks is the house at number 7, a priceless example of neoclassical architecture towards the close of the Spanish viceroyalty. Another feature is the geometric stone and tiled forms designed by celebrated artist José Chávez Morado.
However, the plazuela de San Fernando’s greatest attraction is its spirit, nurtured by the groups of tourists, neighbors, merrymakers and children that throng the square.