Presa de San Renovato

By the end of Paseo de la Presa and at the end of Presa de la Olla, the San Renovato dam was built in 1852 in order to reinforce the former. The natural topography in the ravines was used for that purpose.

The wall of the San Renovato Dam leads you through a romantic and strait walk through two flights of steps topped by a pergola that contains painting reproductions on tiles originally made by Manuel Leal. At the Wall base, but at a lower level from the pedestrians, there are two huge figures, one of a crocodile and one of a snake, that represent two insidious and mean neighbors fighting for water who, as a punishment, were converted into these animals, although even like this they continued to argue as depicted by the likeable sculptures.

A few steps from there you can get to Jardín de las Acacias (The Garden of the Acacia), where there is an elegant sculpture of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla given to the city by Don Porfirio Díaz in 1903.

At the end of the Paseo de la Presa on the far side of the Presa de la Olla is another reservoir, the San Renovato, built in 1852 to provide backup to La Olla. Rather than excavate, the engineers took advantage of the natural features of the mountain ravines to do the job. The top of the dam is home to a narrow but picturesque walkway covered by a pergola and is reached by two flights of steps that lead up past a series of mosaics based on the paintings of local painter Manuel Leal. At the base of the dam, below street level, is a small garden containing the figures of two enormous reptiles – a snake and a crocodile – representing two deceitful and mean-spirited neighbors who, the story goes, were turned into animals as a punishment – although apparently it didn’t stop them arguing, as these appealing sculptures show!

A short walk from here is the Jardín de las Acacias, home to an elegant sculpture of Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla donated to the city by President Porfirio Díaz in 1903.

BACK