The Guanajuato City Hall, or Presidencia Municipal, stands opposite the Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato. The building dates to the year 1710 and originally housed part of the Spanish colonial administration. Over time, its functions expanded to cover the city, then the region, the province and finally the whole state of Guanajuato.
In 1858, President Benito Juarez used the house as his headquarters after declaring Guanajuato the capital of Mexico during the War of Reform. In memory of this event, its façade bears a commemorative plaque and a sculpture of his face next to the main entrance. The wall by the main staircase has a mural by José Chávez Morado based on President Juárez’s time in Guanajuato.