The Chapel of the Assumption stands close to the end of Paseo de la Presa, opposite the Florencio Antillón park and next to the old college of the nuns of the order known as the Little Sisters of the Immaculate Conception.
This is a small church built in the neoclassical style. Access is via a stairway leading up to its front facade, which consists of six openings with pointed arches, including the door and four rectangular windows.
Despite losing the top of its steeple, it preserves some neo-Gothic features into which a German clock has been inserted.
The building, designed by architect José Noriega was constructed between 1873 and 1875 on land granted by Governor Florencio Antillón, who also financed the construction. The church played a significant part in the urbanization of Guanajuato toward the end of the nineteenth century.