The land where the Temple of the Holy House sits once was part of the Sebastian Rodriguez Mining Hacienda. As many of the church buildings in the land of the mine sites, they were first built to be small chapels for the service of the landowners and their workers.
The current Holy House of Loreto was a small chapel in honor of St John the Baptist. In the nineteenth century in came in the hands of the Franciscans order, who used it as a domestic chapel– here they celebrated their liturgical acts with no need to leave their cloister.
The current temple was built in 1846 after demolishing the original building.
Its plan is a single nave with four neoclassical altarpieces, and has a circular cupola on an equally circular tambour with paired pilasters topped by a lantern. Its austere construction, typical of the nineteenth century, contrasts with the temple of San Francisco that dates back from the eighteenth century and located only a few meters aside.
The land on which this church sits was once part of the Sebastian Rodriguez Mining Hacienda. Like many of the churches built near the mines, it was originally constructed as a small chapel intended to serve the needs of the mine owners and their workers.
The current Santa Casa de Loreto was initially just such a small chapel, originally built in honor of Saint John the Baptist. Then, in the nineteenth century it came under the control of the Franciscan order, who used it as their domestic chapel, allowing them to celebrate mass without having to leave their cloister.
The current church was built in 1846 after the original building was demolished. The layout consists of a central nave with four neoclassical altarpieces sitting under circular cupola resting on a circular tambour with paired pilasters and topped off by a lantern. Its austere, nineteenth century design stands in stark contrast to the church of San Francisco, built in the previous century and only a few meters off to the side.