Templo de Mellado y Ex-Convento de los Mercedarios

Mellado is one of the most ancient mining communities in Guanajuato. A robust but simple temple was built near the village and the mine site in the seventeenth century, in 1752 on the very day of the celebration of Nuestra Señora de la Merced (Our Lady of Mercy).

In a baroque style, and aside to its pink-stone carved entrance, its finely carved wooden door, and its small squared bell-tower, the temple is very simple, since its old altarpieces were replaced or destroyed and a major portion of its original ornaments changed hands.

Next to it you can see the former convent that even in ruins, since last century, shows its essential and time-longing beauty that matches with the surrounding environment.

Mellado is one of Guanajuato’s oldest mining communities. This simple but sturdy church was erected on the outskirts of the village and the mine works during the seventeenth century. Then, in 1752, on the feast day of Our Lady of Mercy, the church was entrusted to the order of that name.

Although built in the baroque style, aside from its doorway of carved pink sandstone, the finely carved door itself and its small square bell tower, the church is today a modest affair, since its old altarpieces were replaced or destroyed and a major portion of its original orn  amentation has been removed.

To the side is the former monastery, which, despite being left to fall into ruins in the last century, still retains an elemental, melancholy beauty that blends perfectly with its surroundings.

BACK