A religious spirit prevailed at the time of the Viceroyalty of the New Spain and especially in Guanajuato, which wealth allowed some miners to build chapels and y temples in their work sites.
Tradition tells that the image of Christ being honored in this place was shipped as demanded by the wealthy miner Alonso de Villaseca —owner of big mines in Ixmiquilpan, Cardonal and Zimapán— for one of the haciendas he had in Cata. Its construction began in 1709, and after long periods of work interruption, it was finished in 1789. The reason for many years been needed to finish this building was the ups and downs in the mine production of Cata.
The church building progressively grew, with many modifications to its original plan and today, the Shrine of Mineral de Cata is a nationally important religious center that receives hundreds of visitors from all regions in the country that render homage to the miraculous image of Cristo de Villaseca, pushed by the faith of getting indulgencies, goods and favors.
During the period of the Viceroyalty in New Spain, the religious spirit was strong, and nowhere more than in Guanajuato, whose wealth made it possible for a number of mine owners to build chapels and even churches on their work sites.
According to tradition, the image of Jesus Christ that the church is home to was shipped at the request of mining magnate Alonso de Villaseca, owner of the large mines at Xmiquilpan, Cardonal and Zimapán, for one of his haciendas in Cata. The church itself was begun in 1709, but wasn’t finished until 1789, as the construction budget was at the mercy of the volatile productivity rates at the Cata mine.
The church grew slowly – with many modifications to the original plan along the way – but today, the Shrine of Mineral de Cata is a religious center of national importance, receiving thousands of visitors from Mexico and beyond, all come to worship the miraculous image of the Christ of Villaseca, inspired by their desire to gain the Lord’s favor, indulgence or simply to do good.