The origins of the University of Guanajuato go back to the eighteenth century, when the Jesuits were granted a Royal Seal by King Philip V at the request of the Guanajuato town council in order to found the College of the Most Holy Trinity. The college was an initiative of Josefa Teresa de Busto y Moya and a number of other prominent Guanajuato figures – most notably Pedro Lascuráin de Retana. The first hospice was opened in 1732, offering a good and thorough education that earned the people’s respect. When the Jesuits were expelled from the Kingdom of Spain in 1767, the College was closed form some years until the Order of Saint Philip Neri took over the premises and reopened the classrooms under the name of the College of the Immaculate Conception.
In 1827, the College found itself at the center of an ambitious educational project. A decree was issued brining in funding for higher education by the state. The building was renovated and a public library and a mineralogical collection were added. In 1945, it was raised to the status of The University of Guanajuato. Then, on August 20, 1955 the new university building was opened right next door to the original college. This imposing structure of local green sandstone with its monumental staircase at the entrance has become a symbol of the university. Over the last thirty years, the University has grown, with new departments, schools, students and faculty leading to the creation of ever more branches, not only in its home city, but throughout the state. Over more than 250 years of service to education, the University has proved its importance and its prestige grows greater with each year that passes.